There’s something about the start of a New Year that motivates people to resolve to change some part of their life.
Resolve: To DECIDE FIRMLY on a course of action.
Making a decision starts with the brain. We’ve all heard that writing specific resolutions and putting them somewhere visible will improve the likelihood of success. I tend to agree with that approach because it serves as a visible reminder to our brain that we resolved (decided firmly) to make an important change.
But once your brain firmly decides to make a change, the actual change itself has to occur in your heart. Think about it, it’s hard for us to deny whatever our heart desires whether it’s good or bad for us. Our brain tells us one thing (right, wrong, good, bad), but our heart…. Well our heart wants what our heart wants and it usually controls our ultimate behavior and actions. A change of heart (not just a decision in the brain) is where our life can transform into something new.
So somewhere along the way, we have to connect our brain’s decisions to the transformation of our heart’s desires. So how do we connect our mind and heart?
We start with our Spirit!
Spirit: The nonphysical part of a person that is the seat of emotions and character; the soul.
There’s several practical ways to ignite your spirit, but it almost always starts with a prayer. Pray to God to know your resolutions and to help you achieve transformation. With God for you, who or what can be against you? No one! Nothing! You can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens you.
So let’s recap:
1. Resolve (decide firmly) with your brain.
2. Write your specific resolution on a notecard or piece of paper and place it before you.
3. Announce to God your specific resolutions and pray for Him to: bless your resolutions, walk alongside you to help you achieve your resolutions, and to change your heart. (This ignites the Spirit!)
4. Place the written resolutions in a place where you can see it and read it daily (be intentional about reading it).
5. Repeat the prayer daily. This can be a quick prayer, but never cease in praying because it keeps God on your side.
6. Witness the transformation of your heart and the successful achievement of what you resolve to do in your life.
There’s so much more you can do to ignite your spirit to move in your life. But that would occupy the space of a book rather than a lengthy fb post!
Happy New Year! May you achieve all that you resolve to achieve in 2015.
Christian Life Coach
FREE 30-MIN CONSULTATIONS FOR THE NEW YEAR.